From: Old Geezerr <dpspahr@cox.net>
Subject: Re: How badly do you want to get beaten up for crappy, inane video?
Full headers:
From: Old Geezerr <dpspahr@cox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:58:39 -0700
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:43:25 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On Jan 29, 2018, Old Geezerr wrote
>(in article<6jav6d9pu6nbqmidvef3svo50nb8ofgmr9@4ax.com>):

>> > You have the right to take photographs in public but not to put up
>> > surveillance cams, I'd say that Google glass and clips are in that
>> > category since you can't see when they are in operation. Big brother
>> > sees you, and how do you know if these devices are off, really?
>>
>> The first thing I did with my new laptop was to put silver ducting
>> tape over the camera and microphone. THEN I turned it on.
>
>That seems to be a tad paranoid. Doing that will preclude using
>communications apps such as Skype, or FaceTime (not Facebook). You are better
>off actually understanding your computer than gunging up your laptop with
>duct tape.
>
>Do you even know where the microphones are located in your laptop?
>
>If you want to disable your mics, consider doing that via your system
>preferences, and there are less damaging ways to obscure the camera, and
>still have it available when needed.

  Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
  you.

  The only way I use the laptop or my desktop for that matter, for
  communication is via email. If I want to talk to someone I can't be
  face to face with, I use the phone. Why show them Squalid Manor?

   I am remebering how a High School was remotely turning on the
   laptops that they had issued to their students. They were spying on
   the stdents via the built in cameras.

   The tape I was referring to is the Aluminum backed tape that is
   used on furnace duct work,  Not the ubiquitous DUCK Tape, that is
   cloth backed.

  The laptop's literature placed the microphone next to the camera.
  I also went into the system settings and turned off the camera and
  microphone

Dave:

 LIfe is a Game
 It comes without batteries