From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: How badly do you want to get beaten up for crappy, inane video?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:24:41 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Jan 29, 2018, Old Geezerr wrote
(in article<3tpv6d9oulmt7k3p7ka0ua3157iv9bmp5p@4ax.com>):

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:43:25 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>  wrote:
>
> > On Jan 29, 2018, Old Geezerr wrote
> > (in article<6jav6d9pu6nbqmidvef3svo50nb8ofgmr9@4ax.com>):

> > > The first thing I did with my new laptop was to put silver ducting
> > > tape over the camera and microphone. THEN I turned it on.
> >
> > That seems to be a tad paranoid. Doing that will preclude using
> > communications apps such as Skype, or FaceTime (not Facebook). You are
> > better
> > off actually understanding your computer than gunging up your laptop with
> > duct tape.
> >
> > Do you even know where the microphones are located in your laptop?
> >
> > If you want to disable your mics, consider doing that via your system
> > preferences, and there are less damaging ways to obscure the camera, and
> > still have it available when needed.
>
> Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
> you.

An old saw. ;-)

> The only way I use the laptop or my desktop for that matter, for
> communication is via email. If I want to talk to someone I can't be
> face to face with, I use the phone. Why show them Squalid Manor?

I use both Skype and FaceTime to speak to friends, and family around the USA,
and all around the World. That way I don’t have the exorbitant costs of
international calls. If you are concerned about what the camera might reveal
of your squalor, you have the option of just using either app for voice only
calls.

> I am remebering how a High School was remotely turning on the
> laptops that they had issued to their students. They were spying on
> the stdents via the built in cameras.

Having graduated from high school in 1966, I never had the pleasure of having
to concern myself with a high school issued laptop. Back then I lived in a
World of log tables, and sliderules, not even a handheld calculator.

> The tape I was referring to is the Aluminum backed tape that is
> used on furnace duct work, Not the ubiquitous DUCK Tape, that is
> cloth backed.

Hmmm..., to me that would be even worse that fabric backed duct tape. For me
the best temporary camera lens cover is just a small sticky note.

> The laptop's literature placed the microphone next to the camera.
> I also went into the system settings and turned off the camera and
> microphone

There you are, all anxiety eased with a simple setting or two.

--

Regards,
Savageduck