From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Fuji buys Xerox. The king is dead
Full headers:
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 16:36:38 -0800
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
On Feb 1, 2018, sms wrote
(in article <p50807$h4j$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 2/1/2018 12:15 PM, Savageduck wrote:
>
> > <https://petapixel.com/2017/06/06/report-claims-japanese-government-a...
> > fuji-help-nikon/>
>
> Japan doesn't want a chinese or Korean company taking over Nikon.
>
> Nikon is very late to mirrorless, which is where all the growth in
> high-value digital cameras is occurring. "Canon and Nikon have both
> dabbled in mirrorless cameras in recent years but have failed to create
> products that are competitive against the offerings of companies like
> Sony and Fujifilm." Unfortunately for Canon and Nikon, this is an
> industry where it can be fatal to be late because few people switch
> systems once they begin acquiring lenses and other accessories.
>
> The Fuji-X series has now become the de-facto mirrorless standard for
> professionals. Nikon recently announced their new Z mount at CES, but
> there won't be much leverage there because existing F mount lenses can't
> be used without some kind of clunky adapter which professionals hate.
> The Nikon 1 mirrorless system has not taken off.
>
> No one thought mirroless would displace SLRs so quickly but the size and
> weight advantages proved irresistible for a) non-studio photography
> (where size and weight don't matter) and b) sports, and wildlife
> photography where continuous auto-focus performance is better with the
> SLR, and an optical viewfinder is preferred. But for other professional
> use, like weddings, the size and weight advantages of mirrorless systems
> are overwhelming.

....and even that is rapidly changing. For studio work there is now the
Fujifilm GFX50S with MF sensor, and some very good glass. When it comes to
AF-S/AF-C and tracking, the X-T2, and X-E3 are not far behind DSLR
performance, and in some comparisons, not all, might even be considered
better.

<http://thephotofundamentalist.com/uncategorized/returning-to-a-dslr...
mirrorless-canon-5d-iv/>

<http://macfilos.com/photo/2018/1/23/fuji-x-two-years-after-moving-f...