From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Subject: Re: And The Loser Is...
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 18:23:41 -0500
On 2018-02-05 14:45, RJH wrote:
> On 05/02/2018 17:54, android wrote:

>>> Look at Speedtest's compiled results for fixed service (ie: not mobile).
>>>
>>> Average speed:
>>>
>>>     Singapore (1st) is 166 Mb/s.
>>>     US (8th) is 83.2 Mb/s.
>>>     Canada (16th) is 77 Mb/s.
>>>
>>> All of western Europe is slower than the US, except Sweden.  Denmark,
>>> The Netherlands and Switzerland are essentially tied with the US.
>>>
>>> http://www.speedtest.net/global-index
>>
>> You get what you pay for. I have a 50-100 line and is oki with that
>> since I don't stream much, but you can get 500-1000 Mb/s if you pay
>> trice... The difference in average between Sweden and the US is
>> minimal actually and I guess that the Britts are just chepoos that
>> don't wanna punny up!
>
> UK: I suspect that's something to do with it - I think 100Mbps is there
> if people are willing to pay. Which as it happens I do - £30/month for
> basic landline and mobile, and 100Mbps internet.

That's astoundingly cheap.

> I suppose 1000Mbs would be nice, but hardly necessary. I can download
> 1GB through a VPN in a couple of minutes which seems fine.

I pay CAD $82 for 120 Mb/s.    Speedtest consistently shows it at 135
Mb/s even when testing to London/Paris/Tokyo.

Magic Jack (Internet VOIP) for the landline (US$120 for 5 years + $10 /
year to "keep" the phone no.  Unlimited North American long distance
included.)

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
  full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102