From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Lightroom Classic CC problem
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 13:16:20 -0500
"android"<here@there.was> wrote

| >   With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
| > without getting paid for your trouble.
|
| True, but who would volunteer to work for a company like Microsoft
| without getting paid?

   You'd be surprised. I know I am. :)
   Even with Win10 there are "early adopters" who are
thrilled to get the latest version before anyone else
and to imagine they're getting a pat on the head.

   Before Win10 there was no shortage of beta testers.
They feel important making bug reports. And if they
write software then beta testing gives them early access
to test their own product. Though that second reason
doesn't hold water. There's little benefit in testing on
a system that's still subject to change.

   When I first started selling shareware online, Microsoft
found me quickly. I guess they check the software
download sites. I got two emails from them. Both
basically said, "Thank you for your interest in beta
testing. Please choose which products you would like
to test. If you decide not to be a beta tester you
will probably at least want to consider buying a Technet
membership." (That was something like $2K/year for
free copies of Windows and Office, along with docs.)

  I was amazed at the nerve, pretending that I'd
want to do their work for free AND subscribe to a
wildly overpriced support subscription. (It's the
software authors, after all, that gave Microsoft their
monopoly.) But over time I found that their email
was not really so outrageous. A lot of people really
want to be lackeys for Microsoft. Just like little kids
want to go with Dad to the store.

| If MS want work for free then they obviosly have
| to make them Win 10 Home users use untested soft... And then just wait
| for bugreports so that updates can be fixed before Win 10 Pro users
| updates at their convenience.

 Win10 Pro users are also suckers in this. The
ability to defer updates is limited, and MS no longer
makes clear exactly what's in updates.

| >   But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
| > that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
| > or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
| > know where the problem is coming from.
|
| Windows?

   Windows. Printer drivers. Adobe software. Or 100
other things. I once wrote a program that kept closing
as soon as it started. I couldn't figure out why. It
turned out the problem was that I was enumerating printer
fonts at startup and if there was no printer connected
that caused a crash without error. The problem is not
always with the software that's crashing, and when it is
the cause may be unexpected.

   That's why I suggest doing a search. Something like:

[printer model] crash lightroom windows 10

   The relevant Adobe forum posts should show up
in the search, but so will discussions of the printer
model and Win10/printer issues. If it's a problem
for other people there's a good chance someone
already found the solution - or lack of it.