From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Lightroom Classic CC problem
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 13:43:29 -0500
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| >   But you also have to remember that you really
| > shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
| > You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
| > can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
| > decides to zap you with their next test version that
| > corporate customers don't have to put up with.
|
| nonsense.

  Indeed it is. That's the first intelligent use of
that word I've seen you use, even if you didn't
mean to. But I'll give you credit, anyway. :)

| > A Windows version or service pack was
| > created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
| > in version after version.... Only after months or
| > even years of that was the final version released for
| > IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
| > works that way.
|
| yes it does.

  As usual, you don't have the slightest idea what you're
talking about, but who cares, right? As long as you stick
to "nonsense", "bullshit" and "yes it does", it doesn't really
matter what you're talking about. Unfortunately, there
are people here who may be misled because they fall
for your authoritative airs.

"On average, a release took about three years from inception to completion
but only about six to nine months of that time was spent developing "new"
code. The rest of the time was spent in integration, testing, alpha and beta
periods - each lasting a few months."

That quote is from a former Microsoft manager:

https://blog.usejournal.com/what-really-happened-with-vista-an-insid...

   In other words, they'd work 6 months on, say, Win98.
Then they'd polish and test for 2 1/2 years. That was
Windows as a software platform. Windows 10 is "Windows
as a Service". From their point of view they're just posting
the latest service improvements and those just happen
to be running on your computer rather than on their server.

  Don't take my word for it. Look up Windows as
a service. The idea is that they want you to provide
salable personal data and buy stuff. If you want to
do real work you should be doing that on Win7. (Which
is why Win10 has only just caught up with Win7 in
usage, 2 1/2 years after its release and despite it
being forced on people for free.... Yes, forced. There
were many people who were very surprised when
they clicked some seemingly harmless message and
ended up with a Win10 computer by the time the
dust settled.)

  A look at Win10 version updates shows a fundamentally
different approach from the 3-year cycle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

  Major versions are being piped out every 6-9 months
while minor updates typically come out in the range
of 1 week to 1 month. That's the "service" idea. It's
not just monthly security patches. It's constant changes
to the product. But the problem is that it's not really
a service. A service would be something online that you
access with stable software on your computer. Windows
10, by contrast, is an unstable, constantly changing
product that's on your computer.