From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Lightroom Classic CC problem
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 18:39:42 -0500
References: <fe6i7dl6hqtfdrk4jberf3gqd5mj0r4mfi@4ax.com> <p5cipj$o45$1@dont-email.me> <fdu2vmFeuv1U1@mid.individual.net> <p5fpuv01e6s@news4.newsguy.com> <p5ft8h$8lv$1@dont-email.me> <p5gkju02fe7@news7.newsguy.com> <p5hos0$8ra$1@dont-email.me> <080220181114116368%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i5q8$f0p$1@dont-email.me> <080220181359029826%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5i8g5$46n$1@dont-email.me> <080220181509373937%nospam@nospam.invalid> <p5iheb$985$1@dont-email.me> <080220181724078165%nospam@nospam.invalid>
"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

| >   If you're walking around
| > with a cellphone turned on then, yes, you're
| > being tracked. It's virtually a radio collar.
|
| not by google, unless it's an android phone.

  If you use Android it's Google's phone. If you
enable location tracking on an iPhone you're
being tracked. If you also enable Google
maps they're tracking you. If you use any Google
services, are logged in, and also enable location
services then you're probably being tracked. That's
what your link was talking about. How else do
you think they're following people into stores?

  In one way you're right: It's hard to deal with that
kind of thing because most phone apps make money
via spyware/targetted ads. They often require that
many functions be enabled, even if they don't really
need them. So if you turn off the tracking beacons
you might have to give up your restaurant recommendation
app. You might even have to learn to read maps. As
the cartoon hyena used to say, "Oh me. Oh my."
(Was that Hardee Har Har?)

| the point of the article is that google is now tracking purchases made
| *offline*, in ordinary brick&mortar stores, by capturing credit/debit
| transactions.

  That was one point. It's an interesting bit of news.
EPIC is asking the Feds to look into it. There seem to
be two possibilities: 1) Google is buying data from
credit card companies directly, perhaps illegally.
2) Google is bluffing, using their other vast data
store to make it look like they know everything and
thereby command high ad prices.

  The basic idea is that they want to be able to tell
Acme Mattress exactly how many mattresses they
sold directly as a result of their AdWords campaign.

  But even if Google is buying your credit history, it
doesn't tell them much if you block their tracking online,
don't use their products, and minimize the times you turn
on your phone, or at least disable as much location
tracking as possible. (Also a tricky thing to accomplish.
Even Firefox now has an option to track you. The prefs
geo.enabled and geo.wifi.logging.enabled deal with
letting websirtes know your location in mobile scenarios.)

  In other words, if you block tracking, even just to
the extent that it's not at all inconvenient, you leave
Google with very limited data. The fact that you bought
a TV with your credit card will give them no indication
of whether their ads were involved.

| first of all, you don't know *all* of google's properties and second,
| you have *no* control over what web sites you visit do.

   Of course I do. If you don't use a HOSTS file, enable
3rd-party files, and enable script, then yes, you have
no control. But this is just your same laziness argument:
I can't block 100% so I may as well just give up and
take a nap.

| no matter how hard you try, google, facebook, etc. are *better* at
| extracting data than you are at blocking it.

   Oh me. Oh my. I don't like how this is looking Lippy.
Let's just give up, huh? Oh, wait, I have Facebook in
my HOSTS file. So there's hope. :)