From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Panasonic GX9 - FAIL (a cheapened GX8)
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 00:30:49 -0800 (PST)
From: RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
On Sunday, 18 February 2018 00:46:36 UTC-5, android  wrote:
> On 2018-02-18 04:00:19 +0000, RichA said:

> >> Nice figurin but I think that you should go bigger in sensor size!
> >>
> >> mFT and FT sensors are the same. The tiny sensors takes the umph out of
> >> the captures. An EOS-M is as compact as a mFT cam and has almost twice
> >> the umph! Smartphones are the way to go on the go!
> >> :-ppp
> >> --
> >> teleportation kills
> >
> > Why stop there?  Maybe medium format should be the minimum size acceptable?
>
> You can use mFT as much as you like but call it cost effective is a
> lie. I have a Zeiss Nettar that I experimented back in senior high
> wanted the portability of 35mm and ended up replacing my OM1 with a
> Leica CL and a Rollie 35 on the side... That said: The 6x6 Nettar negs
> was really good but it was not a pro grade cam.
>
> It's more to this than DOF. The larger systems gives you more
> mechanical stability in the gear and the sensors get less relative
> variation in pixel patterns with deeper wheals that gives you more
> continuity in the gain readout.
>
> Here's a cute DOF simulator though:
>
> <https://dofsimulator.net/en/>
> --
> teleportation kills

FF is a bigger commitment in $$$ and size and in most cases, the amateur shooter simply doesn't need
it or can even make profitable use of what it is capable of.   Also, it depends on the situation and
subject.  I got better images using a m4/3rd and 400mm lens shooting wildlife than a guy with a 24mp
FF and 400mm lens because I could fill much more of the frame with the subject. Meanwhile, compare
the cost difference of the systems, $3000 versus $8000. FF will produce the best images, all things
being equal, but it also demands a much greater level of dedication.  Most FF potential in amateur
hands is wasted because they don't put in the effort.