From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:15:32 +0000
In message <p6at15$1l2$>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> writes:
>a format for storing photos. Similarly with GIF: It's
>handy for creating small files and it's cross-platform,
>but it's lossy insofar as it reduces an image to 8-bit
Not quite: it reduces it to 8-bit _storage_, but it does that by using a
palette. I think the palette entries are at least 16-bit. Basically, it
reduce an image to 256 _colours_, but they're not the _same_ 256 for any
given image: a picture of a sunset, for example, will have a lot of
oranges and reds. And once the reduction has been done, there's no
_further_ compression (though some image editors - like, unfortunately,
IrfanView, which I think is great in most respects - tend to operate in
maximum-colours mode, so edit actions in them _do_ cause degradation
when resaved in GIF. But that's not the format's "fault"; if the editors
could be constrained to work in 256-colour mode, there'd be no loss).

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they
don't want to hear. - Preface to "Animal Farm"