From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:37:36 -0500
In article<>, J. P. Gilliver (John)<> wrote:

> >   No I just meant that a lot of people are constantly
> >taking 10MB phone shots and then want to save them
> >on their computer. The people who complain that they
> Yes; I've yet to buy (or use at work!) a digital camera where one of my
> first actions is to change the default resolution to other than the
> maximum. (I use higher resolution when I _need_ it.) But I'm very much
> in the minority in this: virtually everyone I know takes all pictures at
> maximum resolution.

with very rare exception, always shoot at maximum resolution.

you can always downsize later. reshooting images at a higher resolution
is anywhere from difficult to impossible.

> >need to buy a 4 TB hard disk because the 2 TB is full.
> It's not just the storage space needed: needlessly big images take a lot
> longer to load, and then to zoom, pan, and so on.

only if you have a very slow mechanical drive.

with an ssd, there is no perceptible delay, even for *very* large

> But we dinosaurs
> haven't grasped the point: technology will just improve the speed of
> processors, and the size and access speed of storage, such that such
> considerations become irrelevant. Which I have to accept, though I hate.

it already has.