From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:37:36 -0500
In article <p6c76q$oln$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | No, you'll rarely hear me say that, as I come from the bygone era (my
> | first computer had 1K of memory; before that, the first one I worked on
> | had 16 memory locations). I will _sometimes_ concede that view when
> | discussion of time versus resources comes up, but given the choice and
> | time, I'll go for saving space where practicable. (Actually, more in MP3
> | files than images; my eyesight, touch wood, has not deteriorated with
> | age other than the ability to close-focus, but my hearing _has_ lost
> | top, and/or I haven't had speakers capable of great top for some time.)
> |

>   I wish I could switch with you. I don't listen to
> music in general and usually keep the audio turned off on
> my computer, but my eyesight is getting worse. I
> recently mounted my monitor on a drawer slide because
> I was leaning forward so much it was hurting my neck.
> now I just sit down and pull the monitor toward me...
> So I can't lean forward. Though I'm not sure what
> the radiation from that close display might be doing to
> my eyes. :)

you aren't actually still using a crt, are you??

get an lcd asap. even a not very good one will be sharper.

unfortunately, your winxp systems don't support hi-dpi displays.

> | (I remember using a Sony camera at work, that had a floppy drive built
> | in - and you could get several pictures on, of acceptable quality! [That
> | camera also had something I've never seen before or since: the ability
> | to use ambient light to backlight the display.])
>
>   Wow. 1.44 MB? They must have been small images.
> But I suppose they were also 256 colors?

the cameras were *horribly* slow and shot vga to 1mp jpegs. they were
absolute junk. later versions used mini-cds, even worse.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Mavica#Digital_still_cameras_with...
orage_on_3.5"_floppy_disk>