From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:37:37 -0500
In article <p6c7np$s99$>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>    I have limited experience with photography,
> but I have got into RAW images. Better cameras
> seem to offer TIF format for images.

very few cameras offer tiff, mostly because it's a complete waste.

> The best offer
> RAW.

most cameras now offer raw, including iphones and even some compact
point & shoots.

the cheapest cameras generally don't, mainly because the demographic
who buys cheap cameras aren't interested in a raw workflow.

> Very interesting stuff. It somehow records
> the sensor data rather than pixels. So you can
> push and pull the data to what you need before
> reducing it to pixels. The first time I tried it, I
> took a picture of a cyclamen in a dimly lit room.
> I was able to pull out acurate green and magenta hues
> color in RAW. If it had been JPG or TIF I would have
> only been able to get brighter pinkish greys instead
> of magenta.

technically, it's sensels (sensor element) but most people call it
pixels. it's the same number either way. the distinction is not