From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:43:20 +0000
In message <1sucv1hqkm69j.1srj76gl8tuo7$.dlg@40tude.net>, JJ<jj4public@vfemail.net> writes:
>On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:35:36 -0500, nospam wrote:

>>> That's true for lossless. But the cropping itself is always destructive.
>>
>> no it isn't.
>
>You misunderstood. If you crop an image to keep only the left side, the
>right ride of the image will be gone. Meaning that the crop function itself
>removes data. Whether there's an undo or redo functionality or not, that an
>entire different function.

And you misunderstood our response. _Of course_ cropping discards
information - but it was information you didn't want! But also, when you
re-save a JPG image after doing anything to it, the lossy compression is
usually re-applied, meaning the information in the _remaining_ part of
the image is further degraded. Some of us were just pointing out that
there is available "lossless JPEG cropping". which achieves a crop
_without_ further degradation of the kept part of the image.

>> bmp is obsolete.
>
>In a Mac OS, BMP isn't even the native image container. So, I would be
>obvious that most, if not all of Mac softwares don't use BMP.
>
>In Windows however, not so. BMP is the native image format in that OS. i.e.
>used by the graphic kernel.

The information in the graphics RAM while a picture is on screen -
whatever the OS - is going to be raw image data, regardless of how it
was saved to or loaded from disc. (What _is_ the "native" format for
Macs then?)

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]