From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 12:40:58 -0600
JJ<jj4public@vfemail.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:35:36 -0500, nospam wrote:

>>> That's true for lossless. But the cropping itself is always destructive.
>>
>> no it isn't.
>
> You misunderstood. If you crop an image to keep only the left side, the
> right ride of the image will be gone. Meaning that the crop function itself
> removes data. Whether there's an undo or redo functionality or not, that an
> entire different function.

Your editing software is the important factor. There are several photo
editing application which can perform non-destructive crops which are
reversible, among them Photoshop CC, Lightroom Classic CC, On1 Photo RAW
2018, Luminar 2018, AlienSkin Exposure X3, & Affinity Photo.

>> bmp is obsolete.
>
> In a Mac OS, BMP isn't even the native image container. So, I would be
> obvious that most, if not all of Mac softwares don't use BMP.

As a Mac user BMP is far removed from my thoughts, and workflow. I shoot
RAW+JPEG, and use a RAW workflow, and usually the only time I use JPEG is
when I produce one for online sharing. Though recently I have been using
SOOC JPEG from my Fujifilm cameras, and their great film simulations.

> In Windows however, not so. BMP is the native image format in that OS. i.e.
> used by the graphic kernel.

Not being a Windows user, I don’t understand this idea of holding on to the
BMP format when there are much better ways to go.

--
Regards,
 Savageduck