From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 13:43:30 -0500
In article <p6cgp8$2hp$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | > there
> | > is also the issue that a given raw format might not be readable at some
> | > point in the future, whereas jpeg always will be.
> |
> | I find it difficult to believe that no software in the future will be able
> | to read older image formats - no matter how hard the software developers
> try
> | to.
>
>   He doesn't grasp the concept.

he does.

*you* don't.

>   It's like saying
> we won't have words in the future, but that
> English will always exist. The truth is the other
> way around, but he doesn't grasp file formats.

no, it's not like that at all.

if the format is not public, then there's no guarantee that it will be
readable.

>    I was reading an article
> yesterday postulating that programming has become
> a very steep learning curve simply because the
> usage of a computer is so abstracted. Someone
> can be a successful photographer working with
> digital images yet with no need to understand
> what a file is, how the image is stored, or even
> where their images are. Fire up Adobe rental-
> ware, log into your online storage, sync your
> phone, edit images from yesterday's wedding,
> then send them to friends.... There's no need to
> have even the barest concept of how that all
> happened or "where" the photos are, much less
> what they are.

exactly how it should be.

people don't need know how to fix cars when they want to drive to the
store, so why should they know about the inner workings of a computer
just to take and edit photos?

>   And there are lots of valorizing terms to make
> it sound technical: "I'm managing assets in my
> workflow" sounds far more official than, "Shit,
> where'd I put that file?"

it's also far more powerful.

you are stuck in the past.