From: Alan Browne <>
Subject: Re: Enerloop batteries overpriced?
Full headers:
From: Alan Browne <>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 13:54:25 -0500
On 2018-02-18 13:45, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<>, Alan Browne
> says...
>> What can happen is build up of dust causes over heating, so the CPU
>> automatically slows its clock and runs slower.  Some articles also cite
>> thermal paste degradation over time.  Both can be rectified easily.
>> Oscillators also "drift" over time.  You would notice this as much as
>> observers would note the effects of Special Relativity of cars driving
>> on the Autobahn at higher speeds.
> I'm not an expert. What I understood from that discussion is that the
> constant heat over time impacts the silicon of the processor. There are
> pretty tiny structures in the nanometer range which degrade over time,
> thereby impacting the functionality of the processor.

Probably true and yet completely un-noticed as the effect is probably
only measurable by people who look at such things closely.  IOW, not
worth consideration in the real world.  Possibly worth consideration if
one is building a 64,000 processor super computer.

> This is from an Intel guy who analyses processor defects, so should be
> knowledgeable.

And yet we've built computers for the military that test in spec after
20 years of use - in very adverse environments.

“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
  full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102
  million non-workers and 21 million government workers.
  In what world does this represent a strong job market?”
..Jim Quinn