From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 16:08:01 -0500
References: <19gfxg1i7obzt.832kqu8afpco.dlg@40tude.net> <p6alqc$sk5$1@dont-email.me> <170220182050480435%nospam@nospam.invalid> <n0lmy7amjq04$.8fdtbl2khv2a.dlg@40tude.net> <170220182135361720%nospam@nospam.invalid> <1sucv1hqkm69j.1srj76gl8tuo7$.dlg@40tude.net> <auudnaNRad4nVRTHnZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@giganews.com> <180220181343300250%nospam@nospam.invalid> <G4ednTOef51hVxTHnZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6ck4i$shd$1@dont-email.me> <9_adnRhuZepiQRTHnZ2dnUU7-Y_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote

| These days I use NEF, RAF, TIFF, and even JPEG.

   We discussed this before. TIF is usually just a
compressed bitmap. On Windows that's BMP. I think
you're getting hung up on the "BMP" and "bitmap"
terminology. A raster image is a bitmap. Those two
terms are synonymous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics

  When you work on photos those are raster images.
Raster formats are bitmap storage formats. TIF, JPG,
PNG are not something different. They're just different
storage packages for bitmaps. TIF can be many
things, but typically it's just a zipped 24-bit bitmap. So
I use TIF and BMP to store images I intend to work on.
It would be absurd to store as JPG. It'sd profoundly
ill-suited to the job. Famiarity doesn't make it a
good format.
  BMP is easier for me than TIF if I have the space.
It's the basic image. And the image shows as an icon
in folders, which is handy. (I don't like having image
files show as thumbnails.)
  You use TIF. Basically the same thing.It's all bitmaps.
Why is that so hard to grok? What do you think your
filters in Photoshop are doing when you do something
like increase saturation? They're just applying a math
formula to the pixel values in the bitmap. That operation
is exactly the same whether it's BMP, TIF, or JPG. The
only difference is where you got the bitmap from and
where you're saving it to.

    You can keep your beer
in a frig or a cooler. It's still beer. The frig is more
dependable. The cooler is more mobile. Those are
just the packaging that keeps it cool. Beer is beer.
Pixels are pixels.
  In this case, if you keep your beer in a BMP or TIF
you're OK. If the image is still in RAW that's fine.
But if you store it as JPG you're skunking your
beer. Before long it won't be worth drinking. :)

   It gets confusing when we try to translate
to Apple because Macs are targetted at very
non-tech oriented people. A webpage I came across
in trying to find what Apple calls a bitmap was
not at all informative because Apple assumes you
don't want to understand the details. (And Lord Jobs
felt strongly that you shouldn't understand the
details. Of course, he didn't himself, so that makes
sense.)
   I didn't see anything listed there as being an
Apple version of a basic bitmap file. So maybe
Apple doesn't have such a thing. But I can't tell from
the descriptions.

https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/chapter_10...