From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 16:22:49 -0500
References: <19gfxg1i7obzt.832kqu8afpco.dlg@40tude.net> <p6alqc$sk5$1@dont-email.me> <170220182050480435%nospam@nospam.invalid> <n0lmy7amjq04$.8fdtbl2khv2a.dlg@40tude.net> <170220182135361720%nospam@nospam.invalid> <1sucv1hqkm69j.1srj76gl8tuo7$.dlg@40tude.net> <auudnaNRad4nVRTHnZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@giganews.com> <180220181343300250%nospam@nospam.invalid> <G4ednTOef51hVxTHnZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6ck4i$shd$1@dont-email.me> <9_adnRhuZepiQRTHnZ2dnUU7-Y_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <p6cq04$a3i$1@dont-email.me>
In article <p6cq04$a3i$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> | These days I use NEF, RAF, TIFF, and even JPEG.
>
>    We discussed this before. TIF is usually just a
> compressed bitmap.

tif can be anything, including raw sensor data.

it *can* be compressed, but normally is not.

> On Windows that's BMP.

bmp is not normally compressed.

> I think
> you're getting hung up on the "BMP" and "bitmap"
> terminology. A raster image is a bitmap. Those two
> terms are synonymous.

more accurately, you are assuming bmp is the same as a bitmap (or more
accurately, a pixel map) in memory.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics
>
>   When you work on photos those are raster images.
> Raster formats are bitmap storage formats. TIF, JPG,
> PNG are not something different. They're just different
> storage packages for bitmaps.

storage package being a file on disk.

*not* in memory.

> TIF can be many
> things, but typically it's just a zipped 24-bit bitmap.

no it isn't.

> So
> I use TIF and BMP to store images I intend to work on.
> It would be absurd to store as JPG. It'sd profoundly
> ill-suited to the job. Famiarity doesn't make it a
> good format.

billions of jpeg photos disagree with you.

>   BMP is easier for me than TIF if I have the space.
> It's the basic image. And the image shows as an icon
> in folders, which is handy. (I don't like having image
> files show as thumbnails.)

you're using primitive software.

>   You use TIF. Basically the same thing.It's all bitmaps.
> Why is that so hard to grok? What do you think your
> filters in Photoshop are doing when you do something
> like increase saturation? They're just applying a math
> formula to the pixel values in the bitmap. That operation
> is exactly the same whether it's BMP, TIF, or JPG. The
> only difference is where you got the bitmap from and
> where you're saving it to.

photoshop can open bmp, tiff, jpeg and many other formats, but
internally, it uses a *different* structure.

>     You can keep your beer
> in a frig or a cooler. It's still beer. The frig is more
> dependable. The cooler is more mobile. Those are
> just the packaging that keeps it cool. Beer is beer.
> Pixels are pixels.
>   In this case, if you keep your beer in a BMP or TIF
> you're OK. If the image is still in RAW that's fine.
> But if you store it as JPG you're skunking your
> beer. Before long it won't be worth drinking. :)

not a good analogy.

>    It gets confusing when we try to translate
> to Apple

yet another thing you fail to understand, and because you have a stick
up your ass about all things apple, you won't ever learn.

no translating is necessary because apple supports industry standard
formats.

> because Macs are targetted at very
> non-tech oriented people.

nonsense.

<https://sugoru.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/cern2-1.png>

> A webpage I came across
> in trying to find what Apple calls a bitmap was
> not at all informative because Apple assumes you
> don't want to understand the details.

you didn't look very hard.

> (And Lord Jobs
> felt strongly that you shouldn't understand the
> details. Of course, he didn't himself, so that makes
> sense.)

he understood a *lot* more than you ever will.

>    I didn't see anything listed there as being an
> Apple version of a basic bitmap file. So maybe
> Apple doesn't have such a thing.

more accurately, you don't understand what to even look for, which is
why you didn't find it, along with your misguided hatred for apple.

> But I can't tell from
> the descriptions.

it would help if you read the correct descriptions.

> https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/chapter_10...

that's the final cut pro user manual, not what mac os uses, but
regardless, you'll see among the file formats listed: