From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 13:54:54 -0800
wrote:

>> But the goal is a simpler to use Windows free aspect ratio crop, at least
>> simpler (and faster) than Microsoft Photos or The Gimp.
>>
> ImageMagic should do that on the fly from the command line...
>
> <https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php>

Thank you for that on-topic suggestion of Imagemagick's "transform"
command, even as I think the helpful suggestion from the alt.comp.freeware
poster of how to force the aspect ratio in an Irfanview crop is likely to
be the easiest we'll find for Windows aspect-ratio cropping.

I think of Imagemagick as a command-line tool, but your suggestion deserves
adequate exploration, where the command of choice seems to be the 'crop'.
https://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/#crop

Here is an example from that Imagemagick manpage:
  convert rose: -crop 40x30+90+60  crop_miss.gif

This seems useful particularly as a batch command, when you know the
position of the crop you wish to make on a bunch of files (which isn't the
case in my original question).

However, it's a useful alternative that should be noted, as ImageMagick is
known to be powerful and fast freeware.