From: ultred ragnusen <>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 19:52:10 -0800

> Q: What Windows freeware locks in a 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping?
> A: Irfanview (and Microsoft Photos and The Gimp - but they're cumbersome).

Fastone also has a crop to aspect ratio feature, which works even better
than Irvanview's does in that the cropping part is simpler.

I deleted Fastone after using it for a couple of hours though, as the
decisions made by the developer put us back in the single-screen days of
the 1980s, before "windows" existed on desktops.

Here is what I wrote up on the Windows 10 newsgroup about how to use the
crop feature of Fastone, which was suggested by Monty, I think.

When opening a JPG, Fastone insists on an obnoxious full screen mode.
I couldn't find a way to turn that horrid always-full-screen setting off.

Anyway, since there are no static menus, I push the mouse full screeen

This brings up a menu which has a section called "Rotation, resize, &

In that "Rotation, resize, & text" menu is a selection for "Crop board".
Clicking "Crop board" brings up the image in the desired size (finally!).

In that "Crop board", you can select something cryptically called the
"paper ratio" with a selection box for another cryptic setting of "flip
ratio", where the options for "5:3 ratio" and "3:2 ratio" are available.

Once you get to this point, Fastone is actually pretty decently efficient
in that the adjustment of that crop area is intuitive (far better than is
Irfanview) for both the relocation and resizing of that crop area.

So, Fastone works, and fits the requirement, and, once you get past the
huge annoyance of the (seemingly mandatory) full-screen view, it actually
is more efficient than Irfanview, if only at a half dozen steps later.