From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-255@255soft.uk>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:20:25 +0000
In message <p6ennu$l2$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> writes:
>"nospam"<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote
>
>| >   On the other hand, PDF seems a suitable
>| > format for Macs: Expensive, locked, and
>| > being the best tool for a very narrow range
>| > of mostly commercial uses.

(-:
[]
>(I'm not even getting into the strangeness
>of you thinking PDF is an image format.)

I can remember when a lot of scanning software, especially that
accompanying scanners aimed at office use, _did_ _default_ to .pdf -
even to the extent that it was sometimes quite difficult to make it
produce anything else (though I don't _think_ I came across one where
you couldn't at all).

I suppose it did have _some_ justification where the scanner had a sheet
feeder. The _other_ justification usually given at the time, that
everybody has a .pdf reader but not everyone has a viewer for the image
formats, I never accepted - it might have been true, but there were even
then free image viewers easily available.
[]

"Dook, that was great but I think the line needs
awe. Can you do it again, giving it just a little awe?"

"Sure, George," said Wayne and looking up at the cross said:
"Aw, truly this man is the son of God."
(recounted in Radio Times, 30 March-5 April 2013.)