From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:00:15 -0800
wrote:

> Back on topic, the known Windows aspect-ratio freeware apps are:
> # Fastone (the aspect ratio crop is the best - on top of the picture)
> # Microsoft Photos (the aspect ratio crop is sadly below the picture)
> # Irfanview (the aspect ratio crop is cryptically accessed with Shift+C)
> # The GIMP (the aspect ratio crop is, like all things Gimp, unintuitive)
> # ?

Elsewhere in this thread, the helpful user android<here@there.was> kindly
ran a search which found a GUI-based UI to ImageMagick appropriately named
ImBatch (http://codecpack.co/images/ImBatch.jpg) located at
http://codecpack.co/download/ImBatch.html

I tested whether there was an option for a fixed aspect ratio, but I
couldn't find any such option, although you could /manually/ set the aspect
ratio using the following sequence.
# Open the image file in ImBatch
# In the "Preview" window, adjust your crop (manually to any aspect ratio)
# (+)Add Task... > Selection > Add Selection > OK
# A pre-populated selection screen pops up with your selected numbers in it
# But, unfortunately, the "Selection Type" doesn't show "aspect ratio".
# The menu only has "Left/Right/Top/Bottom Position"

This ImBatch tool is nice because it puts a front end on ImageMagick, which
is nice if you know the position and aspect ratio ahead of time for a set
of files that you want batch processed - but this ImBatch tool does not do,
AFAICT, a locked-aspect-ratio batch by anything other than purely manual
means.

Hence, the known Windows aspect-ratio freeware apps are: