From: B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson <>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: "B. R. BeAr Ederson" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 05:58:56 +0100
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:18:47 -0800, ultred ragnusen wrote:

> I just tested it using Irfanview 4.50 64-bit on Windows 10, where /both/
> the control and alt keyboard keys do the same action, which is to allow one
> to adjust the selection area keeping the aspect ratio locked at the
> selected value (e.g., 4:3).

After a couple of hours sleep I noticed, that I was wrong about that
matter: The difference between <ALT> and <Ctrl> applies when /starting/
a new selection. When the <Ctrl> key is pressed while creating a new
mouse selection by Click&Drag, then the selection area has the last
saved ratio from the CustomCrop dialog. When starting this selection
with <ALT> key pressed, the selection is created with inverse ratio.
This matters when working with a whole bunch of pictures, that are
sometimes in portrait and sometimes in landscape format.

When resizing an existing selection, the <Ctrl> and <ALT> keys behave
likewise, assuming the selection may already have been altered from the
CustomCrop dialog settings. So: No bug involved.

<F'up set to acf.>
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"?              =