From: J. P. Gilliver (John) <>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:32:35 +0000
In message<>, ultred ragnusen<> writes:
> wrote:

My apologies to Bob_S in another thread: I'd thought the "wrote" line,
without saying _who_ wrote it, was exclusive to him and his WLM15. But
Ultred, your "40tude_Dialog/" is doing it too.

(For completeness: The person Ultred is quoting is BeAr.)
>> <Shift+C> is just a shortcut to the Edit->CreateCustomCropSelection menu.
>Yes. I know. When I write tutorials, I generally write them with the full
>menus, in the syntax shown below so that others can easily reproduce steps:
> Program name: Menu > sub menu > subsub menu > selection > sub selection

BeAr was just responding to your earlier use of "obscure", or similar
word or phrase, to describe IrfanView's method, by pointing out that it
is available by a long-winded way, and the shift-C is just a
convenience. (IrfanView has lots of keyboard shortcuts, which - probably
_because_ there are so many of them - aren't intuitive [though do become
second-nature to any regular user, at least those who use the keyboard a
>Overall I think we have a great answer to the original question, which is:
>Q: What Windows freeware locks in a given aspect ratio for cropping?
>A: Fastone, Irfanview, Microsoft Photos, & The Gimp (in that order).
># Fastone (the aspect ratio crop is the most intuitive mouse adjustment)
># Irfanview (the aspect ratio crop is second only to that of Fastone's GUI)
># Microsoft Photos (the aspect ratio crop is - sadly - below the picture)
># The GIMP (the aspect ratio crop is, like all things Gimp, unintuitive)
># ?
(And I've seen the later post that adds a couple more.) Looks like
you're (or we're) doing a good public-service job of answering the
question. (Which isn't one _I_ had ever asked myself, but that's
irrelevant: if it's worth asking for you, it's worth asking!)

Security is the perfect excuse to lock you out of your own computer.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2015-12-4