From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:15:33 -0500
"Eric Stevens"<> wrote

| >Otherwise Adobe CC, and some third party plug-ins cover my photo editing
| >needs.
| I have the situation where Corel Photo Paint (CPT) images cannot be
| read by Corel Paint Shop Pro (PSPImage) or by Photoshop.
| I know of no software which can read them all.

  SD is living in a contained environment of
Mac and Adobe, so it's not surprising that he
"has all he needs".

  I wonder if the CPP and PSP issue might be
due to CPP being a Corel original, while PSP
was bought from Jasc. Also, they seem to be
very different programs. I know an artist who
makes his living doing architectural renderings
while his art is typically stylized aerial photos
or "industrial illustation". He uses exclusively
Corel Draw. My impression is that it's as the
name implies -- more for drawing than for image
editing. Whereas PS and PSP are mainly for
image editing.

   Another factor there: You're talking about their
default formats. Those are not file formats but
rather storage formats. They store data about
unmerged layers and such. It's basically a
"workspace" file, storing the current state of the
work. Generally if you're taking an image out of
a specific editor, wouldn't you want to export it
as some kind of actual image format, like BMP/TIF
/JPG/PNG etc, rather than as a work project?

    I can't think of a time where I ever wanted
to save a workspace file and open it in something
else. In fact, I almost never even save a PSP.
I just don't have a need to maintain numerous
layers for days at a time. If I can't merge the
layers then I'm not done with my current session,
and I don't want to inflexibility of saving images
as PSP. I can open a PSP in IrfanView, but there's
no point. I can't work on it there and IV can't
see the layers. I also can't put a PSP in a
webpage or a DOC, because it's not actually an

   But maybe my approach is not typical. If every
time you touch an image it's with a Corel product,
then maybe you have no reason to leave Corel.