From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:23:49 -0600
Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> "Tony Cooper"<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote
>
> | I understand that not all people's interests are the same, but we look
> | forward to every "Masterpiece" series.  Currently, it's "Victoria" and
> | it's quite good.
>
>   Ah, so you're the guy who's watching two high
> school kids dressed up as royalty and playing
> house. I wondered who it was. :)

Rather than two kidsdressed up as royalty I would recommend watching “Wolf
Hall” which will give you an interesting look into Tudor politics, and is
much better than any of the pablum US networks produce.

> | If liking the "Masterpiece" productions, and not US TV reality shows,
> | talent shows, cooking shows, and dancing competitions make me a
> | "highbrow" type, I say "It's a fair cop, Guv."
> |

>    I criticize them because they're really no better
> than American daytime soaps. But they're considered
> higher quality simply because they're British.

Actually they are far better than American daytime soaps, with far superior
acting and production values.

It sounds as if your particular prejudices have oozed into your TV viewing.

>Though
> I guess I'm also a harsh judge. I don't like any series
> type of show because the story is enslaved to the
> need for repetition. They come up with a formula and
> then the viewers watch each week specifically to
> see another rendition of the same formula. It can
> work as entertainment, but rarely as art. (Which
> makes it another example of android's famous "porn".)
> I generally only watch movies and documentaries.

Then you are depriving yourself of some very good viewing, some of which is
far better than many movies these days.
....and most are far from formulaic.

--
Regards,