From: Whisky-dave <>
Subject: Re: How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 03:48:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <>
On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 16:47:13 UTC, Tony Cooper  wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:46:21 -0600, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}> wrote:
> >Mayayana<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> >> "Eric Stevens"<> wrote

> >>   Ah. British. No wonder. Sorry. We get British soap
> >> opera junk like Downton Abbey, and fake ethnic
> >> Irish bands singing Danny Boy, on our PBS in the US.
> >> I guess probably because it's cheap or free. Also
> >> because there's a weird Anglophile cult among
> >> American self-appointed highbrow types. Anything
> >> said in a British accent is thought to be well thought
> >> out. :)
> >>
> >...and yet we in the USA frequently steal British programming, to produce
> >shows such as “House of Cards”, “All in the Family”, and “The Office”.
> Add one of my favorite shows, "Shameless" to that list.

I never got into that a few friends did.
Stella street was also a laugh.

I do like The trailer park boys which is a canadian mocumentry.

  The original
> was about a family in Manchester, UK. I tried to watch an episode of
> the original, but the lower-class Mancunian accents were almost
> ununderstandable.

Only almost ;-)

> >Then there are the very good BBC series such as “Hinterland”, and
> >“Shetland” which are available on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. Add
> >Scandinavian series such as “The Killing”, “The Bridge”, and “Wallander”
> >which made it to the BBC in their original form, and made it to the US as
> >American productions.
> We've watched all mentioned above.  Great stuff.

I've sort of zoned out on most of these sorts of things, I was even bored by Game of Thrones and
change channels  after 20mins.
> I understand that not all people's interests are the same, but we look
> forward to every "Masterpiece" series.  Currently, it's "Victoria" and
> it's quite good.  "The Crown" was good as was "Call the Midwife".
 Can't really get into them anymore for some reason.
which is strange considering I was watching curling up until 1:30am trying to work out the rules
from just watching.

> Netflix offers quite a good selection of Brit shows.  "The
> Detectorists", "Happy Valley", and "The IT Crowd" were favorites here.
> We're looking forward to Netflix picking up Season 7 of "Doc Martin".

Detectorists and The IT Crowd I like.
I don't like the office.

> While some greatly enjoy "Doctor Who", it's never appealed to me.
> Science fiction/fantasy and outer space shows are not for me.

I like some doctor Who depending on who the doctor is and some stories are better than others,
there's also some very good comedy lines in doctor who, very british humour I think.

> If liking the "Masterpiece" productions, and not US TV reality shows,
> talent shows, cooking shows, and dancing competitions make me a
> "highbrow" type, I say "It's a fair cop, Guv."

I think southpark is one of the best comedy on TV at the moment.
I like family Guy and american dad, but can't wacth the simpsons or even furturma anymore.
In the past Jam stands out for me and anything chris morris has done.