From: Whisky-dave <>
Subject: Re: How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar
Full headers:
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 08:02:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <>
On Wednesday, 21 February 2018 14:31:28 UTC, Mayayana  wrote:
> "Whisky-dave"<> wrote
> > I prefered Deep Space Nine but I heard
> > americans (generalisong here) didn;t
>   I didn't. But I guess by then I had grown up and
> wasn't watching much TV.

I'm not sure growing up has much to do with it.

> The problem for me
> with DS9 was that the sci-fi was all but gone.

Well it was science fiction rather than science fantasy which a lot prefered.
It was very political and had one on-going storey throught so if you missed a few episodes you might
not know what was going on.

> They'd pulled a George Lucas on Star Trek, turning
> it into a silly, PC, kiddie show. (Though not quite
> so bad as Star Wars, which is more like high school
> cafeteria with a Milky Way theme, to the tune of
> non-stop crescendo.)

Yes but I still think DS9 was more adult, they didn't feel the need to show tits or have much sex in
it to get ratings.

>    But worse was the acting of the Cisco character.

I thought he was pretty good, and it was Sisko,  he wasn't a router

> What was that supposed to be?

A black american who had an attitude and would stand up for what he believed in even when it went
against the federation, lied to them and faked evidence, not that such a thing would ever happen in
the real world.

>Did he think he
> was doing Shakespeare in a large theater that
> required shouting and hyper-enunciating all lines?

Maybe you haven't watch as  many episodes as I have.

> I could imagine him proclaiming, "I do not like
> mustard on hot dogs!" with all the force and drama
> of giving an ultimatum to a planetary leader who's
> just fired the first shot in a pending war.
>   To be fair, though, the acting wasn't great in
> any of the series.

It was better than  it was in star wars and most other sci-fi.
Captain picard played by a shakespearin actor.
I first saw him in I Clauduis and I've been to the theartre to see him play macbeth in the west end.

 >It was TV, after all. (But yes,
> I find "7 of 9" positively captivating. :)

A handfull of 2 perhaps.