From: Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windowswithout installing anything on either
Full headers:
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows
without installing anything on either
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
From: Wolf K <wolfmac@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:24:13 -0500
On 2018-02-22 00:07, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> I just accidentally ran into this very simple way to transfer photos from
> your phone to Windows (and back) without installing anything on either
>
> 1. I gave a few $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus phablets as gifts over Christmas and
> as a direct result I inherited a handful of new-to-me older Android phones,
> even though my main phone is a circa 2012 S3 which works just fine for me
> but which I mount on Windows to use in the native Windows file explorer
> using the Windows "Add a network location" wizard.
>
> 2. One of that handful of old phones is a circa 2014 Moto G, running
> Android 5.1, which I just plugged into Windows where I was surprised the
> phone immediately showed up as its own "XT104" USB drive.
> http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/22/1xt104_a.jpg [...]

AFAIK, Windows sees all USB-connected cameras, including phones. But
unlike USB flash-drives, they do not have to be Removed. Just unplug
them when you're done.

The first time you  connect a camera, Windows may "install" it, which I
take to mean that it loads some driver.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com