From: Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Subject: Re: Do you see any advantage of Pinta freeware over Paint.NET screenshot-editing?
Full headers:
From: "Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:47:46 -0500
"ultred ragnusen"<> wrote

| My main question, since we all hate .NET Framework, is why don't /other/
| freeware editors do the /simplest/ of things well? Why is it only
| that can get texting, bounding boxes, arrowing, and stretch selections
| right?

    It might be partly due to the same reason that
you can get free samples of cheese and crackers
at the supermarket, but you rarely see free lobster
roll samples.... You're only willing to look at free so
you're reducing your options.

  Any decent graphic editor gives you floating text.
I don't know about arrows, as I've never needed them.
You're looking for a very specific tool but what you're
looking at is graphic editors.

  As far as .Net goes: My understanding is that
Paint.Net was originally designed by a student as a
demo of what .Net can do in terms of graphics.
The same things require more work when written
as native software. .Net is a wrapper around the
more abstruse Windows API.

   Processed food is a pretty good analogy. The
other day I got some shrimp on sale and looked
online for a new shrimp recipe idea. Shrimp
alfredo... That looked interesting. What's the
recipe?..... 1 lb. shrimp, a bottle alfredo sauce.... :)
That story is true. That was the recipe!

  It's easy to make shrimp alfredo if you're just
dumping a bottle into a pan. That's why good
restaurants have 15 items on the menu and
bad restaurants have 150. The latter only need
to take something out of the freezer and
microwave it.

| > Paint Shop Pro 5 is online for free. The latest
| > version of PSP was about $50 last I checked.
| Mayayana, I realize you're a coder and you're intelligent and that you
| software - but just listing a bunch of software isn't going to help anyone
| because I've tried - for decades (it seems) to find something /better/
| Paint.NET (because I hate .NET Framework).

   I'm not answering only for you. There are options
for graphic editors that are cheap or free. Not
everyone wants to draw arrows. Since this is a
public discussion it's a good chance to let people
know about options. At the same time, since PSP5
is free, even you might find it worth exploring....
even if not for arrow drawing.

| I use those words specifically because I'm an old hand at this type of
| editing where you don't usually need to draw bounding boxes, add text,
| connect them with arrows, and cover selection areas with "photo editors".

  I've seen people talk about drawing arrows in the photo
group. Maybe the best approach, since you have very
specific needs, would be to ask in the photo and graphics
groups for exactly the 4 things you want. But it sounds
to me like an odd question. In effect you're saying that
Paint.Net is exactly what you want, and you want to
replace it. Not only that, but the replacement must be
free. Something about gift horses comes to mind. :)