From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Toner Vs Ink?
From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 17:50:53 -0500
On 02/22/2018 03:59 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> I usually have my photos printed at a kiosk, but for the A4 larger
> ones I use the office Fuji-Xerox laser color printer.
>
> Is laser-toner photos longer lasting than the Kiosk-printed variety?
>
> Peter

Too many variables...

Toner is melted into the paper, and is generally water resistant. Inkjet
prints might run if they get damp, depending on the ink. And light-jet
photos are actual "old-school" photographs: light-sensitive photo paper
exposed to laser light and chemically processed. If they get wet, they
can usually be dried to their original appearance.

The big issue is the quality. Toner cannot make as fine a dot on the
paper, and toner pigments don't really mix. Inkjet printers can make a
smaller dot, and the different colors of ink mix together as they soak
into the paper. Photo-sensitive papers have all three colors already in
the paper, wanting to be exposed to the proper color light.

I've done toner printed photos and inkjet photos. Inkjet photos look
better, but toner photos are more rugged. And properly done
photo-sensitive paper prints beat them both.

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com