From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Switched from Windows to Linux on old netbook. What a difference
From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 20:15:15 -0500
On 02/22/2018 07:08 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> then whatever you have is junk.
>>
>> That's quite presumptuous, since you have no idea what brands/models
>> computers I have.
>
> it doesn't mater what brands/models they are.
>
> anything that is 'bogged down terribly with winxp' is junk. your words.
> winxp is hardly resource intensive.
>
> the reality is that they're long obsolete and cannot run modern
> software.

Ubuntu (Lubuntu) 16.04 is fairly modern, and is what I am running now on
all my "long obsolete" hardware.
At the time I switched to Linux- (I don't recall the date, but it was
around the time that XP was at announced end-of-life), most of my XP
computers had trouble opening Facebook. After switching to Linux (then
Lubuntu 14.04), my oldest and least powerful machines had no difficulty
with that metric.

>> What if some of my hardware is Apple? Ergo, based on
>> your statement, Apple is junk.
>
> a 15 year old mac is also junk, except that it won't be 'bogged down
> terribly' running mac os x from its era.

Again, I'm running reasonably modern Linux on older ("junk") machines
with no difficulty.

>>> quality costs money.
>>
>> That is a generalization that is not universally true. For example,
>> there are companies that scrap their hardware the minute it is fully
>> depreciated (5 years). I have been "playing" with some pretty serious
>> Cisco networking gear that I acquired just by showing up at the loading
>> dock at the right time.
>
> 5 year old networking equipment isn't the issue.

Five year old networking gear is only a recent example. I've acquired
computers through corporate salvaging for little, if any money over the
years. Five year old computer hardware has a lot of life (and quality)
left in it.

>>> then you must not be doing much.
>>
>> On that statement, I have to agree. I'm responding to your comments, so
>> I'm not doing much.
>>
>> By the way, are you familiar with the Shift key? Or are you a big fan of
>> poet e. e. cummings?
>
> ad hominem.

e. e. cummings did sometimes use upper-case letters. Perhaps you might
consider doing the same.

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com