Subject: Re: Great Smokey Mountain National Park
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 03:34:41 -0800 (PST)
From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:11:06 AM UTC-5, PeterN wrote:
> On 2/22/2018 5:19 AM, me wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:23:21 -0500, PeterN
> > <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I am thinking about going to the Smokey Mountain National Park. Does
> >> anyone here have any information about interesting photo spots, that are
> >> accessible. I cannot climb, or walk more than about half an hour.
> >
> > If you plan to travel on the BRP keep abreast of closures, planned and
> > unplanned.
> >
> > https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
> > https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?mapId=e212fcb5-4ff9-4787-bbe4-3d4...
> >

> Thanks, that's always a good idea.

FWIW, this 'keep informed' recommendation reminded me of one other item:

cellular phone service inside GSMNP is very limited.

Granted, we don't expect classical wilderness areas to have cell towers,
but the GSMNP is surrounded on all sides by civilization and "feels" like a
much smaller park than it actually is.

Plus there is some cell coverage along high elevation sites, such as Newfound Gap
and Clingman's Dome because they're hilltops, but signal coverage down in the
valleys along the creeks is close to zero, and this will drain your phone's battery
as it keeps on searching for signal.

My practice has become to carry a charge cable in the rental car, and when
we know we're going to be spending some time away from the car on a walk/hike,
to conserve battery by changing the phone over to 'Airplane' mode as part of
our "grab all the gear" stage.

-hh