From: Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windowswithout installing anything on either
From: "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows
without installing anything on either
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:03:37 +0100
On 2018-02-22 19:42, ultred ragnusen wrote:
> Wolf K<wolfmac@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, Windows sees all USB-connected cameras, including phones. But
>> unlike USB flash-drives, they do not have to be Removed. Just unplug
>> them when you're done.
>
> THANK YOU for that hint!
>
> I hope it's true, because it's a pain to have to wait to shut it down
> first, but where I've had to laboriously recover (e.g., Recuva) data big
> time by not shutting down the drive with USB HDD drives after copying over
> large amounts of data.
>
> So it's nice to know (if it's true) that you can just unplug a phone
> without worry of data corruption.

Not entirely true.

There will not be filesystem corruption, but if a file was being written
it will be incomplete (and possibly deleted). And if there is a bunch of
files waiting to be transferred, they won't. Going through the motions
of secure removal will ensure all the files are written.

MTP does file by file individual and complete operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

--
Cheers, Carlos.