From: ultred ragnusen <>
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows without installing anything on either
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:35:02 -0800
Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>> Once I burn the ISO to a disk will it be 'bootable' or will additional
>> action be required first?
> It requires dancing a jig on one foot.

The Tier 2 Microsoft support person at +1-800-642-7676 took control of
another Windows 10 Pro system to download, burn, test, and run the same
sequence of repair that we ran (and failed at) using the bricked Windows 10
Pro recovery console.

For the data, Knoppix worked just fine, but I am getting a very common
error from Knoppix on files that shouldn't have that error, where, when I
google for the error, NONE of the common causes can possibly be why I'm
getting that error.
 Error splicing file: Value too large for defined data type.
The odd thing is that /all/ the root causes of that common error on the net
don't apply here, because the Knoppix boot alone exhibits the problem when
I copy the file to /tmp staying completely within the Knoppix file system
for the destination file.

On the net, the common reasons for that common error don't apply:
- It doesn't seem to be an NTFS issue since all the HDDs are NTFS
- It has nothing to do with the 4GB limit on file size

> When Windows is installed on more than a 100 million machines, would
> distributing a broken image work ? How many people would ever
> figure it out ?

The second tier Microsoft support tech told me it's pretty common, saying
the reasons are many.
1. It could be a driver conflict
2. It could be a setup conflict
3. It could be a CPU conflict (the AMD CPUs were harder hit than Intel)
4. It could be a corrupted HDD (which is always a possibility)
5. It could be that I customized something that Microsoft didn't like

The Microsoft Genius Bar personnel (or whatever they're called) should be
able to allow me to tell you more when I go to my appointment.

> If 100 million people phone the Microsoft support line with
> "help me convert the ISO I downloaded into something useful",
> how many Tier 0 employees do you think that's going to take
> to help them out ? The telephone switch board will be absolutely jammed
> for months and months.

I have to admit they spent at least an hour downloading, installing, and
activating Microsoft Office 2007 Pro yesterday, and a different tech spent
at least three hours trying to repair my bricked system. They will likely
spend a few more hours at the Microsoft Genius Bar (or whatever it's
called), where they'll have access to all the information in the support
ticket that has been filed to determine what the bug is due to.

I'll let you know more when I know more, but the net is that Knoppix was
the first data-recovery system I've tried, as per your suggestion to back
up the data BEFORE going to the Microsoft Genius Bar (or whatever it's
called). I'll try the other methods, where I'm confident that the data will
be recovered since there's nothing wrong with the hard disk drive as far as
I can tell.