Subject: Re: Great Smokey Mountain National Park
Full headers:
From: PeterN <"peter,newdelete"@deleteverizon.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:13:41 -0500
On 2/23/2018 6:34 AM, -hh wrote:
> On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 10:11:06 AM UTC-5, PeterN wrote:
>> On 2/22/2018 5:19 AM, me wrote:

>>> If you plan to travel on the BRP keep abreast of closures, planned and
>>> unplanned.
>>>
>>> https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
>>> https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?mapId=e212fcb5-4ff9-4787-bbe4-3d4...
>>>

>> Thanks, that's always a good idea.
>
> FWIW, this 'keep informed' recommendation reminded me of one other item:
>
> cellular phone service inside GSMNP is very limited.
>
> Granted, we don't expect classical wilderness areas to have cell towers,
> but the GSMNP is surrounded on all sides by civilization and "feels" like a
> much smaller park than it actually is.
>
> Plus there is some cell coverage along high elevation sites, such as Newfound Gap
> and Clingman's Dome because they're hilltops, but signal coverage down in the
> valleys along the creeks is close to zero, and this will drain your phone's battery
> as it keeps on searching for signal.
>
> My practice has become to carry a charge cable in the rental car, and when
> we know we're going to be spending some time away from the car on a walk/hike,
> to conserve battery by changing the phone over to 'Airplane' mode as part of
> our "grab all the gear" stage.
>

> -hh

Thanks, I am using my own car. I keep my cell phone fully charged, and
listen to a lot of Vivaldi, if there is a lot of traffic.
Yesterday, I was talking to someone who said he does a lot of fly
fishing in that area. (He is a sales person at LL Bean.) His advice was
pretty much what you said. H also suggested i visit the Cherokee Nation
area. My visit to that area, of course, depends on the weather and road
conditions in the park. Plan B is to continue a project I started
several years ago. I call it  Stoops and Steps of Savannah.

--
PeterN