From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Subject: Re: OT Rescuing a 'lost' film of Morecambe and Wise
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:35:09 -0600
Whisky-dave<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't normally mention this on the digital NG but this film was
> brought to our lab to see what we could do with our laser cutter and
> tried it on a small piece of film sometime last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/43118475/moreca...

I saw that story, and while the technology behind the recover was
interesting, and they have a few moving images as a result, I question the
actual value of the footage saved. There have been obvious serious
archiving errors made, and I think they have to be more selective with what
they can successfully triage to work on. I have a feeling that the method
used was very experimental, and they were prepared to get the mediocre
result they got with film they were prepared to sacrifice as part of the
experiment, and development of the technique.

--
Regards,
 Savageduck