From: Whisky-dave <>
Subject: Re: OT Rescuing a 'lost' film of Morecambe and Wise
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 08:20:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Whisky-dave <>
On Monday, 26 February 2018 15:35:22 UTC, Savageduck  wrote:
> Whisky-dave<> wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't normally mention this on the digital NG but this film was
> > brought to our lab to see what we could do with our laser cutter and
> > tried it on a small piece of film sometime last year.
> >

> I saw that story, and while the technology behind the recover was
> interesting, and they have a few moving images as a result, I question the
> actual value of the footage saved.

well I donlt think they wwere doing it just to get those images but to see what was actually
possible if you have film in such a state.

> There have been obvious serious
> archiving errors made,

I don;t think these were meant to be archived any more than a lot of what the BBC did at the time.
Later on they used video type and lost of that got erased because of cost and storage.
I;'m not sure where this film was found but othter such items have turned up in private collections
and I think one was found in Africa.
There could be many more such examples of fillm stored like this still to be found.
I was watching a documentry last night about whether Hannibal did cross the Alps with the elephants
and an army, but who cares it was over 2000 years ago.
Same with such things as dead sea scrolls and they like is it really worth spending time and money
on these sorts of things.

>and I think they have to be more selective with what
> they can successfully triage to work on.

>I have a feeling that the method
> used was very experimental,

Yes well we used our laser cutter to try out the theory and on seeing the section of film that
resulted I couldn't really see how they could get anything from film stuck together the way it was.

Now if they'd used digital or analogue tape they would have erased it all by now to save money, but
as film couldn't be reused etc..... it must have been just stashed somewhere.

>and they were prepared to get the mediocre
> result they got with film they were prepared to sacrifice as part of the
> experiment, and development of the technique.

It makes sense, imagine those sacrificed in medical reasearch this sort of thing always happens I
just wish I was allowed to sacrifice some students.