From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Subject: Re: A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows without installing anything on either
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 19:03:38 -0800
References: <1pat6bvdosd5h$.1v0zueckye1z0$.dlg@40tude.net> <N8CjC.87760$CZ2.56323@fx39.iad> <k1708hh1x1bm.4u71bsj0gbj3$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6n7mu$cuh$1@dont-email.me> <19gis5r2t3woe$.15ka8hlpcnip0$.dlg@40tude.net> <9K3kC.89577$CZ2.67163@fx39.iad> <1dxxhzinci9qd.hpx5dw75usol$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6r6ge$5f4$1@dont-email.me> <acakC.112774$mJ1.26756@fx13.fr7> <p6s785$nht$1@dont-email.me> <v9lfsboe3dmc.1o44r2zk1zgx8$.dlg@40tude.net> <p6sjaq$q02$1@dont-email.me>
Paul<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> One series of threads I could find, blamed the cause on
>
>     Ubuntu is just not building gcc with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>
> which causes 64-bit routines for file parameters to be use automatically.

Hmmmmmmmmm.... thanks for finding that Paul, which may mean that I
accidentally used a 32-bit Knoppix.  I will have to check the Knoppix
because I didn't write on the DVD disc whether it was 32-bit or 64-bit
where I got Knoppix from this torrent.
http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/

> Since you say you're staying "on-platform" and not using
> SAMBA/CIFS for this transfer, the result is highly
> unusual.

Yup. No big deal though, because I bought a SATA III 6GB SATA cable plus a
4-pin Molex male to dual SATA female set of cables today, and now have
/both/ HDDs in the desktop where Windows is booting from SATA1 and the DVD
drive is on SATA2 with the bad boot HDD on SATA3..
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/sata_cables_1.jpg

The bad-boot HDD seems to show up just fine in Windows as a non-boot data
drive, so I shouldn't need Knoppix, which I only used because I wanted to
back up my data BEFORE giving it to the Microsoft Retail Store genius bar
employees to fix.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/mounted_file_system8f091.jpg

> I've never seen this error in all the times
> I've tried things with various Linux distros. I might
> even be convinced to run a memory test as my first step
> (memtest86+).

The Microsoft Genius Bar retail store employees said they checked
everything, and it all checked out fine (memory, HDD, etc.). It was just
bricked. I asked specifically what they did, and they said they ran machine
diagnostics first, and then they booted to the X: drive (as we did in the
past) where they ran something they called bcdedit, fixboot, & scanos.

They said they tried to fix the master boot record (fixboot) and even tried
older versions of Windows 10 in addition to the Fall Creator's Update.

> After the memtest completed one pass successfully,
> I would change distros. And move on.

I have the problem mostly solved since the Microsoft genius bar employees
couldn't get it to boot, so, the updated and bricked Windows 10 Pro OS is a
write off but everything else appears to be fine.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/27/ms_retail_store_1.jpg

Thanks for all your kind and expert help. It turns out that the OS was
bricked by the late January Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Update, where two
different employees at the store (once when I dropped it off, and again
when I picked it up, asking the same question) told me they get this at
least once a day, sometimes a few times a day, so it's pretty common in the
real world for a Windows 10 Update to brick the system.