From: Percival John Hackworth <>
Subject: Re: Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off
Full headers:
From: Percival John Hackworth <>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:35:35 -0800
On 27-Feb-2018, Your Name wrote
(in article <p74t97$1uc$>):

> On 2018-02-27 21:24:06 +0000, David_B said:
> >
> > FYI ...
> >
> > Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off
> >
> > The 27-inch iMac Pro is currently Apple's best desktop Mac, and this
> > deal saves you some cash on all that power.
> >

> > mac-pro-for-500-off.html
> The problem with these deals (there was another one elsewhere with upto
> $1000 off iMac Pro) is that they usually only apply to off-the-shelf
> models. You can't get a custom-build Mac at a cheaper pricing, which
> given the impossibility of later upgrading almost all the current Mac
> models, means it's a pain in the backside and somewhat pointless. :-(
> It's the same problem with the "10% off Mac" sales we sometimes get at
> various resellers here in New Zealand.

The same thing applies for special reduced prices on various software bundles
offered on TechDirt, BoingBoing, and MacUpdate. You get *that version* of the
software with no ability to upgrade. I paid $17 for Crosssover 17 on TechDirt
but in order to upgrade to the latest version (17.01), Codeweavers wanted me
to buy upgrade at $35. I so rarely use it that I'll stick with what I have.
Other packages have similar deals when offered in site "bundles". You get
what you pay for, in hardware and software.