From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Subject: Re: The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence
Full headers:
From: ultred ragnusen <ultred@ragnusen.com>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 13:33:59 -0800
nospam<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> that just shows that the phone was in a given location.
>
> if the criminal leaves the phone at home, it won't put them at the
> scene of the crime.

Lots of answers to your useless repartee, one of which is that you know
full well that they fly Cessnas over cities to gather up the location of
all phones and they use fake Harris Stingray mobile towers in vehicles to
gather up the same location data on everyone, including both criminals and
nuns.

In addition, extremely many crimes are crimes of passion, or crimes of
opportunity, where there's no chance for the criminal to shut off the phone
before they shoot that person in the car given road rage or whatever.

My main point is that /all/ cellphones have the same set of weakest links
where anyone who actually /feels/ safe because the excellent
M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G of the brand made them /feel/ safe, is a fool.

> cell tower pings *won't* get access to the data *on* the phone, which
> includes photos, text messages, email, calendar, notes, financial
> information, social media information and much, much more.

Since you bought too many arguments this week, I will only note in response
that I said the /set/ of weakest links on all phones is the same, where the
cell-tower ping is only one of those weak links.

For just another example, when you texted someone, and whom you texted, and
even perhaps the size of the text message, and where it was sent from and
where the person was when they received it, etc., are in that set.

My point is that the set of weakest links is the same in /all/ cellular
phones, such that anyone who /thinks/ they're safe from prying eyes because
MARKETING of brand X said so, is a fool.

> that stuff is *extremely* valuable, not just for investigators, but
> also for other criminals, who now know where you live and what your
> schedule is (i.e., when to break into your house), who your kids are
> and what they look like, where they go to school, etc.

A Harris StingRay is not all that expensive to buy and use.