From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Subject: Re: The Feds Can Now (Probably) Unlock Every iPhone Model In Existence
From: Davoud <star@sky.net>
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 14:09:01 -0500
Barry Margolin:
> Security isn't binary, it's a continuum. No one is completely safe, but
> if there's less information on your phone, the danger from the
> government cracking it is lower. And if the phone has better encryption,
> then you're more safe.

This conversation entirely misses the point. As I have pointed out, the
"threat" does not come from the US government, which is utterly
uninterested in what you do on-line.

Amazon, Facebook, Google, and myriad other commercial enterprises, on
the other hand, are very much interested in what you are doing on-line
and they have the means of tracking you. Got a medical condition and
using the Internet to learn more about it? Noted. Interested in buying
a car? Noted. Traveling? Location and dates noted.* In fact, anything
and everything that could conceivably enable a commercial enterprise
make a few pennies from your personal information is noted.

But it's not on a list under your name that someone prints out and has
fun reading; printer paper is not sold in 1000km rolls. The data is in
a virtually instantaneous computer-to-computer transaction in which an
intermediary enables targeted ads on your Internet-connected devices. A
few days ago I googled air fares to London. Within *seconds* web pages
that I visited were peppered with ads for airlines, rental cars, and
hotels.

*Travel: if you have an E-ZPass or equivalent the issuer knows every
time you go through a toll booth. For that matter, authorities know
when you go through a toll booth even if you choose to use a slow lane;
your license plate is read by a camera.

How it is that the paranoids ignore commercial trackers and worry about
a disinterested government, I do not know. But then, I'm not paranoid.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm