From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Subject: Re: Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off
Full headers:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 10:12:24 -0500

https://www.macworld.com/article/3258845/macs/amazon-is-selling-the-...

> The problem with these deals (there was another one elsewhere with upto
> $1000 off iMac Pro) is that they usually only apply to off-the-shelf
> models. You can't get a custom-build Mac at a cheaper pricing, which
> given the impossibility of later upgrading almost all the current Mac
> models, means it's a pain in the backside and somewhat pointless.   :-(
>
> It's the same problem with the "10% off Mac" sales we sometimes get at
> various resellers here in New Zealand.

As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
least loaded iMac.  Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
easy to do.

--
“The less the prudence with which others conduct their affairs,
  the greater the prudence with which we must conduct our own.”