From: Alan Browne <>
Subject: Re: Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off
Full headers:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,
From: Alan Browne <>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 16:12:22 -0500
On 2018-03-03 15:49, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2018-03-03 10:12, Alan Browne wrote:
>> As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
>> least loaded iMac.  Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
>> easy to do.
> I have lost track. Do current iMacs still allow one to get in and change
> RAM? Disk ?

RAM easily on the 27" models. (iMac, not iMac Pro).

Disk needs a very invasive approach requiring that you buy a seal set
(from, eg, iFixIt) before doing.  1 hour in and out, I'd guess.  Skill
set, medium.  On older iMacs (2007) about 30 minutes, pretty easy - just

iMac Pro needs a "teardown" to get at the memory and SSD (Which appears
to be in a RAID configuration).  The iMac Pro base model is 32 GB which
is pretty good.

“The less the prudence with which others conduct their affairs,
  the greater the prudence with which we must conduct our own.”
                                                      Warren Buffet