From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Subject: Re: Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off
Full headers:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 16:12:22 -0500
On 2018-03-03 15:49, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2018-03-03 10:12, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
>> least loaded iMac.  Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
>> easy to do.
>
> I have lost track. Do current iMacs still allow one to get in and change
> RAM? Disk ?

RAM easily on the 27" models. (iMac, not iMac Pro).

Disk needs a very invasive approach requiring that you buy a seal set
(from, eg, iFixIt) before doing.  1 hour in and out, I'd guess.  Skill
set, medium.  On older iMacs (2007) about 30 minutes, pretty easy - just
long.

iMac Pro needs a "teardown" to get at the memory and SSD (Which appears
to be in a RAID configuration).  The iMac Pro base model is 32 GB which
is pretty good.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/27/imac-pro-teardown-owc/

--
“The less the prudence with which others conduct their affairs,
  the greater the prudence with which we must conduct our own.”