From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Subject: Re: Amazon is selling the 8-core iMac Pro for $500 off
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 10:18:14 +1300
On 2018-03-03 20:49:18 +0000, JF Mezei said:
> On 2018-03-03 10:12, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> As long as the graphics card is top end, then you're best off with the
>> least loaded iMac.  Add your own memory - cheaper than Apple and very
>> easy to do.
>
> I have lost track. Do current iMacs still allow one to get in and change
> RAM? Disk ?

Basically, no. Almost all iMac models are sealed down tight and in some
cases even have the internals soldered down.

The only real exception is the 27" iMac which does still have the
trapdoor to change the RAM, but that's all you can easily access. It's
anyone's guess whether Johnny Ive's idiotic design fetishes will also
remove that in the next release.

Even the iMac Pro is not "user upgradable" in any easy way, which is
rather ridiculous. You have to be a very determined hardware geek with
all the correct tools and sealants or take it to an Apple Repair Centre
to have any upgrades done.  :-(

It's also the same with every other current device model from Apple,
except the ageing Mac Pro. The Mac Mini has been sealed down, the
laptops are inaccessible, the and iOS / Apple Watch devices even more
so.

The new "modular Mac Pro" is at leats due to be announced, if not
released, this year, but it is again anyone's guess as to how easily
that will be to upgrade ... I wouldn't hold your breath, and it
certainly won't be anything like the old PowerMac tower cases.