Subject: Re: Silly CNN
Full headers:
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:07:49 -0800 (PST)
From: -hh <>
Alan wrote:
> Dene wrote:
>> No I’m not. I think a lot of times money is counted in a deceitful way.  For
>> example. Payroll for security.  Was extra security hired or were these people
>> already being paid by the federal government?
> Which is a nice strawman, Greg.
> See if you can figure out why.

It's a deflection attempt on Greg's part, so that he can try to invoke
a "Fake News!" claim on the report.

For example, establishing a new secure location has additional costs because
the site needs to be surveyed (labor), vulnerabilities identified (labor) & countered
(equipment purchases, installation, pilot testing, V&V, etc).  And then once deployed,
there's the direct & indirect costs of flying Air Force One (equipment & crews) and
the travel & per diem costs for all security staff .. because they're no longer staying at home.
Ditto for all of the non-security staff too.

For a quick example of this last one, the 2017 Per Diem rates for Miami are $260/pp-day,
which does not include any transportation (flights to/from D.C. as well as a local rental car, etc).

As such for an utter bare bones 30 person contingent (probably closer to what a minor Secretary gets)
for a short five day trip, you're looking at 30*260*5 = $40K in basic Per Diem costs before you even
consider their labor hours, any transportation, etc.  For the POTUS with support staff, I'd figure
least a hundred people going on TDY, so easily $150K for Per Diem, plus a hundred commercial
airline flights at $500 each for another +$50K, etc...all of which are not paid when "home" in DC.