From: JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: 13-0 will NOT be enough... The Committee has spoken...
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:12:28 -0800 (PST)
From: JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com>
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 3:05:37 PM UTC-5, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 6:19:46 AM UTC-8, JGibson wrote:
> > On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 10:09:48 PM UTC-5, darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Especially last year where the Big Ten champion (because of a rogue committee member due to
Sandusky/Paterno) was left out and a team they defeated placed in their place), yes.

> > You're going way too nuts with that conspiracy theory.  Last year, there were only one
undefeated team, 3 1 loss teams, then a bunch of 2+ loss teams.  Ohio State was one of the 1-loss
teams and had a win over Oklahoma, the Big 12 champ.  Penn State had 2 losses, one was to Pitt and
the other was by 39 points to Michigan.  Yes, Penn State won the Big Ten East on a tiebreaker but
Ohio State had the better overall record.

> They won the Big 10 Championship and defeated Ohio State to get there.
>
> If this situation is about getting it decided on the field, then it, to all heretofore criteria,
had been decided:  Penn State > Ohio State last year.

> That the Committee nullified the Big 10 championship AND the head to head situation for the first
apparent time in history had a reason:  Sandusky and Paterno.

Through three years of the CFP playoffs, the committee has never taken a 2-loss team.  Taking either
Penn State or Ohio State was going to break one of the precedents.