Next <
From: The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Moving the Embassy to Jerusalem
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 08:12:47 -0800 (PST)
From: The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com>
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> xyzzy wrote:
>
>> I don’t agree with him doing it but I also know nothing any president has done there for 40
years has worked either so why not try something else.

> Plus, hasn't pretty much every president suggested doing just this?  And didn't the senate vote
90-0 in June to do this?

Sort of.  The text of the bill says that the Senate:
(a) "reaffirms that it is the longstanding, bipartisan policy of the United States Government that
the permanent status of Jerusalem remains a matter to be decided between the parties through final
status negotiations towards a two-state solution," and,
(b) "reaffirms the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 (Public Law 104-45) as United States law, and calls
upon the President and all United States officials to abide by its provisions," which every
President since the law was passed has done, mainly through issuing continuous six-month waivers.

Of course, there's the stumbling block that a number of countries in the area have their own version
of a "Jerusalem act," along the lines of:
(a) There is no such country as Israel;
(b) any Jewish government claiming control over the land correctly identified as Palestine is
illegitimate;
(c) it is against the law to recognize Israel or its government, including even mentioning it on
government-run television (and things like Olympic gold medals won by Israel are treated the way the
NCAA treats Louisville's 2013 NCAA men's basketball championship - they never happened).
(Ever hear of the Eurovision Song Contest?  For whatever reason, "Eurovision" includes Israel and
Jordan - and one year, Jordanian TV not only refused to show the Israeli song, but stopped airing
the show just before it ended when it became clear that Israel would win, and the country's news
programs "announced" that the runner-up country won - and Eurovision BEGGED and PLEADED Israel not
to host the next year's competition, which, other than a trophy for the songwriter, is pretty much
the only prize the winner gets.)