From: xyzzy <>
Subject: Re: Anonymous ancestry DNA chat
Full headers:
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:35:28 -0800 (PST)
From: xyzzy <>
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 2:18:48 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> gf wants to do an Ancestry DNA test. I'm opposed to it because I don't trust the privacy and
security of the data.... the terms and conditions give them permission to do basically anything they
want with it including sell it (for example in the future they could sell to life insurance
companies the ability to know if you're genetically predisposed to a short life, etc).  And even if
their terms and conditions were acceptable, if they went bankrupt and their data was sold to the
highest bidder... no thanks.
> So I've decided to get her one for her birthday, but with what I think are the proper security
safeguards.  After a significant search I have not found any company or service that offers this
anonymously -- most likely because their real jackpot will be in selling the information to others.
So here is my plan:
> Rent a mailbox at the UPS store
> Use a Visa gift card to buy the kit under a fake name using a burner email address on the ancestry
web site.
> Have the kits and results shipped to that fake name at the UPS store
> Think this will work? My main questions now are:
> -- What would I use for a billing address on a VISA gift card?  I'm thinking the UPS store address
ought to work since gift cards don't have billing addresses.
> -- Also I assume the UPS store would be cool with me receiving a package for "someone else" at my
mailbox since I won't have an ID with the fake name.
> Note, I'm not looking for ironclad security here, just enough so that neither her nor my name or
address show up in any Ancestry database that might later be sold or transferred for reasons I don't
like, like to insurance companies.

Upon further review it looks like I can buy the kit under my own name, but activate and send it in
using a fake name, and just say it was a gift.  Then I can look up the results online without having
to receive mail in the fake name.

That might work better and raise less unnecessary suspicion than trying to pick up mail under a fake
name at a UPS store.