From: JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Anonymous ancestry DNA chat
Full headers:
Newsgroups: rec.sport.football.college
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:37:13 -0800 (PST)
From: JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com>
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 2:33:11 PM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 1:18:48 PM UTC-6, xyzzy wrote:
> > gf wants to do an Ancestry DNA test. I'm opposed to it because I don't trust the privacy and
security of the data.... the terms and conditions give them permission to do basically anything they
want with it including sell it (for example in the future they could sell to life insurance
companies the ability to know if you're genetically predisposed to a short life, etc)..  And even if
their terms and conditions were acceptable, if they went bankrupt and their data was sold to the
highest bidder... no thanks.

> > So I've decided to get her one for her birthday, but with what I think are the proper security
safeguards.  After a significant search I have not found any company or service that offers this
anonymously -- most likely because their real jackpot will be in selling the information to others.
So here is my plan:

> > Rent a mailbox at the UPS store
> > Use a Visa gift card to buy the kit under a fake name using a burner email address on the
ancestry web site.
> > Have the kits and results shipped to that fake name at the UPS store
> >
> > Think this will work? My main questions now are:
> > -- What would I use for a billing address on a VISA gift card?  I'm thinking the UPS store
address ought to work since gift cards don't have billing addresses.
> > -- Also I assume the UPS store would be cool with me receiving a package for "someone else" at
my mailbox since I won't have an ID with the fake name.

> > Note, I'm not looking for ironclad security here, just enough so that neither her nor my name or
address show up in any Ancestry database that might later be sold or transferred for reasons I don't
like, like to insurance companies.

> I have no idea....
>
> But - as an aside - it is amazing the difference between us old farts and the millennials when it
comes to privacy - the cheesechildren and their cohorts are like "whatevs, old man - here's some
tinfoil for ya"

Back when I was in high school, in my law class, we had to choose which 5 of the ten amendments in
the Bill of Rights we would keep if aliens took over and gave us this option.  I was big on the 4th.
 It seems purposeless with this generation.